6 Must-have Tools for Successful Amazon Sellers
- Jul 21, 2015 | Laura McCamy
Once you’ve started selling on Amazon, your next task is to increase your sales. For that, you might want a little help. There is a dizzying array of software and apps that can help you automate processes and maintain competitive pricing; we've included some of the choices recommended by Amazon sellers below.
1. Amazon Tools
Not surprisingly, Amazon offers tools to help you up your game as a seller on the site, including:
- FBA Revenue Calculator: Thinking of using Fulfillment by Amazon for a new product? Use its handy calculator to ensure that your pricing will cover all your costs, including fulfillment.
- Volume Listing Tools: Amazon offers a range of tools to help sellers manage their listings, from inventory templates to listing conversion from eBay and Google Shopping formats. These tools are available to Professional sellers only, not Individuals.
- Amazon Seller App: Manage your Amazon sales on the go with this iPhone and Android app. The upside: you can respond to your customers 24/7. The downside: you can respond to your customers 24/7.
2. Barcode Scanner
Entering ISBNs and UPCs for your products by hand is a tedious chore. A barcode scanner will allow you to capture the codes from your products with a click. You can download a free barcode scanner app from Amazon, and the Seller App also includes a scanner. Scouting services (more on that below), such as ASellerTool and Scoutify (part of Inventory Lab), include scanner functions. Or you can buy a handheld scanner; prices range from about $15 to the hundreds, depending on how fancy you want to get. Either way, you will save yourself lots of time.
3. Third Party Software
Software companies have created a range of tools and services to help you win sales and manage your Amazon listings. Many of the tools listed below offer more than one service (e.g., repricing and scouting).
- Repricing tools: Win sales and maximize your profit margin with software that updates your price (within your parameters) to help you win the most sales. Teikametrics, NeatoScan, RepricerExpress, ScanPower, and Sellery from SellerEngine are just a few of the many programs offering repricing functions. Feedvisor uses an algorithm that takes factors beyond price into consideration to help put you in the Buy Box.
- Listing services: If you want to increase the number of items you sell on Amazon, a listing service may be the leg up you need to grow your ecommerce business. Automate your listings--and cross-list on eBay and other ecommerce sites with the listing services from Vendio, Listtee, or Solid Commerce.
- Scouting tools: When you sell online, you compete on price with sellers across many platforms. Software that scouts the web for the best wholesale prices on the items you sell on Amazon can help you squeeze more out of your profit margins. Check out ScoutRabbit from Listtee or Profit Bandit from SellerEngine for scouting tools.
4. Inventory Tracking
Inventory is one of the most tedious but necessary tasks in any product-based business; automation can save you time and help you better manage your inventory flow to minimize your overhead and maximize your profits. Teikametrics, Inventory Lab, Stitch Labs, AutoMCF (which includes other functions such as cross-platform listing), and SellerActive are just a few of the companies offering inventory software designed with Amazon sellers in mind.
5. Seller Ratings
Excellent seller ratings are life or death for Amazon sellers. If you’re not asking your buyers for their feedback, you’re missing out on a tremendous opportunity. Some sellers prefer the old-fashioned method of a hand-written note in each package.
The personal touch may get a good response, but it’s not practical if you are a high-volume seller or using Amazon FBA. Tools such as FeedbackExpress, FeedbackFive, Feedback Genius, and BQool (which includes repricing) offer an automated approach to boosting your seller rating.
6. Tax Compliance
When you’re focused on moving product as an Amazon seller, sales taxes may be the last thing on your mind--but they shouldn’t be. Selling online, especially if you use Amazon FBA or another drop-ship service, can create more sales tax obligations than you realize.
You’ll find all the tools you need to make sure you’re collecting and remitting the correct sales tax to the correct states at Avalara TrustFile. TrustFile provides free tools to get you started as well as online filing services to help you navigate sales tax requirements in multiple states.