Bangladesh VAT compliance update
- 14 June 2014 | Richard Asquith
The latest Bangladeshi budget contains a range of changes to the compliance regime to help reduce the administrative burden for companies. The current Bangladeshi VAT rate is 15%.
The compliance changes include:
- A limit of the levels of fines for VAT evasion now set to 50% of the value of the goods concerned. Previously there had been no upper limit.
- Phased withdrawal of the complex base value systems for calculating VAT on a number of goods and services
- Introduction of online VAT returns and VAT registrations through a special portal
- Reclassifications to higher reduced VAT rates of many services
- Imported mobile phones will be subject to 15% VAT instead of 10%
Latest Bangladesh news
December 20, 2018
Bangladesh is planning to introduce an overhauled Value Added Tax regime in January 2021. It will replace the existing VAT regime, which lacks many...
June 8, 2017
Bangladesh’s 2017 budget includes a number of changes to the VAT regime. These include: A new 4% turnover tax will be levied on businesses with...
July 30, 2016
As part of the 2016/17 budget, Bangladesh has consolidated the VAT rates on a number of tourism-related services. Hotel VAT has been cut from 15%...
Sign up for our free newsletter stay up-to-date with the latest tax news.
Sign-up to VAT Voice, Avalara’s monthly round-up about VAT and legislation updates to help you stay ahead of the curve.