India agreement on Services GST rates
- May 19, 2017 | Richard Asquith
The Indian Goods and Services Council, which is concluding a range of issues for the 1 July 2017 launch of GST, has agreed 4 indirect tax rates on Services. The principle standard VAT rates will be 18% and 12%.
The current effective VAT rate on Services in India is approximately 18%.
The new GST rates on Services include:
- 28% All Other Services, Accommodation above Rs 5,000 per night, Cinema tickets, consumer durables,TVs, Air Conditioning, Automobiles, Cement, Chocolate
- 18% Telephony, Banking, Insurance, Accommodation between Rs 2,500 and Rs 5,000 per night, Restaurants with alcohol license, Entrance to Cultural and Entertainment events, Capital Goods, Heavily Processed Foods;
- 12% Restaurants (non-air conditioned), Business Class air travel, Construction Intellectual Property temporary transfers, Dried Fruit, Confectionery
- 5% Privately-provided Transport including Car Sharing, Advertising, Sugar, Tea and Coffee, Cooking Oil
- Exempt Public Services, Healthcare, Education, Public Transport, Accommodation below Rs 1,000 per night, Central Bank services, certain Agricultural services, Road Tolls, Residential lettings, Life Insurance, Admission to Public Museums and Related Activities, Leasing Agreements, Bank Current Account services, Milk, Dairy Products, Bread, Grains, Cereals