Spain takes on VAT fraud
- Sep 29, 2014 | Richard Asquith
In a bid to combat rising fraud, Spain is to introduce a range of measures in 2015. These include:
- The EU Rapid Response Mechanism is to be activated to introduce the reverse charge on the domestic supplies of phones, games, tablets and precious metals (including silver and platinum)
- The penalties for non-disclosure of the use of reverse charge in the construction industry are to be increased
- Increase resources are to be given over to import VAT audits
- There will be more restrictions on the use of Spanish VAT deferment arrangements. Only goods specified within the VAT Law or EU VAT Directive will be exempted from the requirement to be stored in specified warehouses.
VP Global Indirect Tax Richard Asquith
Richard Asquith is VP Global Indirect Tax at Avalara, helping businesses understand their compliance obligations as they grow globally. He is part of the European leadership team which this year won International Tax Review's Tax Technology Firm of the Year. Richard qualified as an accountant with KPMG in the UK, and went on to work in Hungary, Russia and France with EY.