Turkey digital services VAT update
- 6 February 2018 | Richard Asquith
Turkey has provided an update on the VAT rules for non-resident providers of digital services to local consumers. VAT was imposed on such transactions from 1 January 2018.
Key clarifications include:
- Details of the new online VAT registration process
- There are no specific requirements for the maintenance of VAT records
- Supplies to Turkish VAT registered customers are nil rated, reverse charge
- VAT filings are on a monthly basis, by the 24th of the month following the reporting period
- In the launch period, the first reporting period will be the first quarter of 2018, and the first return will due on 24 April 2018
- Returns must detail VAT due in local liras, based on the exchange rate of the Turkish central bank at the time of the supply
- In periods where there are no transactions, no return need be filed
- Marketplaces for such services will be deemed liable for VAT compliance if the marketplace:
- Requests the consideration
- Sets the general terms and conditions of the service
Turkey has proposed a range of changes to its VAT law, including: VAT credits will be paid within 12 months or 3 months if they...
Turkey has provided an update on the VAT rules for non-resident providers of digital services to local consumers. VAT was imposed on such transactions from...
Turkey is to require non-resident providers of digital services to VAT register and charge tax on sales to local consumers from 1 January 2018. The...