US e-commerce boom leads to Entry Type 86 delays
- Jun 1, 2020 | Richard Asquith
The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency is warning importers that the Customs Entry Type 86 filers may experience delays due to the rapid growth of e-commerce during the COVID-crisis.
The Entry Type 86 was introduced last year to enable import tax-free imports of packages not exceeding $800. Previously the limit was $200.
The CBP is warning of delays in processing Type 86 shipments of several hours. They gave the following practical guidance:
· Only file the Type 86 entries when all related bills are submitted too
· Restrict entries to 20,000 to 30,000 per hour
· Ensure SE update transactions are up to date
· Hold ACE Cargo Manifest queries until the entry processing is completed.