Tanzania VAT changes
- 2 July 2015 | Richard Asquith
The updated Tanzanian VAT Act will extend VAT to a new range of supplies. The current Tanzanian VAT rate is 18%.
- Non-life insurance is no longer VAT exempt
- Exports are now fully VAT exempt
- Exemptions have been extended to a range of agricultural goods and supplies, education, health care and other services
- A system of import VAT deferment for imported capital goods has been introduced
- Digital and electronic services provided to consumers are now subject to VAT. This includes apps, games, software and fees to membership-based sites.
VP Global Indirect Tax Richard Asquith
Richard Asquith is VP Global Indirect Tax at Avalara, helping businesses understand their compliance obligations as they grow globally. He is part of the European leadership team which this year won International Tax Review's Tax Technology Firm of the Year. Richard qualified as an accountant with KPMG in the UK, and went on to work in Hungary, Russia and France with EY.