Senior Software Engineer (R2515)
Engineering | Remote, United StatesApply Now!
The Data platform team at Avalara is responsible for building highly reliable, scalable, and operable centralized data infrastructure. We do all the heavy lifting to make it easy for our internal engineering teams to work with data efficiently, securely and responsibly. The Transaction Storage Service (TSS) layer serves as the storage and abstraction layer and acts as the foundational building block for multiple engineering and platform products.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us build and evolve our highly distributed and scalable Data Platform Services. A successful candidate will be a well-rounded software development engineer with a proven track record of delivering data infrastructure at scale in an Agile environment.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce. We're the first to admit it - sales tax isn't sexy. But revolutionizing fundamental business processes -- that's big time. And that's what we're doing every day, bringing technology to bear on the arcane process of sales tax calculation, reporting and remitting.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can, and having fun while doing it.
- Read and understand requirements and search out ways to “go big” to solve the underlying problems
- Address complex architectural problems with simple, intuitive design
- Work across all phases of the development lifecycle (planning, design, implementation, testing, deployment and support)
- Design flexible & extensive data models and make effective use of database technology
- Design meaningful and intuitive APIs for data access and management
- Ensure data quality, security and privacy via data hygiene and lifecycle management
- Computer science degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 6+ years of experience in a software development role, shipping complex applications to large scale production environments
- Experience with .NET Core development
- Proficient in design and development of scalable web services - gRPC experience a plus
- Proficient in distributed, OLTP, fault tolerant systems at scale, including global deployments
- Demonstrable mastery of at least one language (C#, Java, C++)
- Experience with SQL / NoSQL database technologies (SQL Server, Postgres, MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Experience developing highly scalable ingestion and data processing near real-time pipelines using cloud technologies like Kinesis/Kafka, Data Lake/S3.
- Familiarity with OLAP / Big data technologies (Snowflake, PowerBI tools)
- Experience building platforms and libraries that are self-contained, extendable and ready for wide scale consumption
- Demonstrate knowledge to build CI\\CD pipeline (GitLab, Terraform)
- Familiar with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Familiarity with Data governance, data lifecycle management process
- Exposure to Cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools, and analyzing system metrics to determine root cause analysis
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.