Senior Engineering Manager, Avatax (R1313)
Engineering | Remote, United States,Seattle, WA, United States,Remote, CA, United StatesApply Now!
The Data platform team at Avalara is responsible for building highly reliable, scalable, and operable centralized data infrastructure. We do all the heavy lifting to make it easy for our internal engineering teams to work with data efficiently, securely and responsibly. The Transaction Storage Service (TSS) layer serves as the storage and abstraction layer and acts as the foundational building block for multiple engineering and platform products.
As a Senior Manager of Engineering, you will lead a team of seasoned engineers responsible for the scaling, availability and architecture of Avalara’s AvaTax data platform services. You will be a thought leader in this space building opportunities for the practical application to meet the needs of massive growth and rapidly evolving business environment. You will lead a high-performance engineering team and be a mentor and motivator for team members.
Avalara is the worldwide leader in sales and use tax calculation. The work we do is fundamental to electronic commerce. We're the first to admit it - sales tax isn't sexy. But revolutionizing fundamental business processes -- that's big time. And that's what we're doing every day, bringing technology to bear on the arcane process of sales tax calculation, reporting and remitting. Our work improves the lives of our customers by making tedious business processes they must participate in simple and easy.
We have a startup culture focused on building great software and having the maximum impact on the world that we can, and having fun while doing it.
Specific Objectives and Responsibilities
The successful candidate should have robust client-server development experience, a proven ability to learn new approaches in emerging technologies, a high degree of intellectual curiosity, experience with multiple software development methodologies, excellent problem-solving skills, and strong communication and interpersonal skills.
The person who succeeds in this role will enable the continued growth of AvaTax platform, delivering reliability, performance and features to the product. You will also lead a high-performance engineering team that is skilled in using the most relevant technology to ensure the development efforts add value, meet corporate objectives and launch targets.
The primary responsibilities of this role include:
- Provide leadership of the AvaTax data platform services team.
- Build and lead an exceptional team of highly-engaged engineers by hiring, coaching, and instilling a sense of ownership and impact.
- Drive Engineering Excellence by participating in code reviews, technical designs and evangelizing Software Engineering best practices.
- Ensure that product architecture and technology decisions support business area strategies and future direction of product lines.
- Experience building highly performant, extremely reliable, distributed transactional and asynchronous services, with privacy and security from the get-go
- Experience in designing flexible and extensive data models, including NoSQL technologies.
- Ensuring data quality and being able to differentiate between traditional software quality and data quality for large number of data pipelines.
- Computer science degree or equivalent
- Minimum of 5+ years of Software Engineering management experience, shipping complex applications to large scale production environments.
- Development experience in multiple programming languages with a preference in C# / .NET Core
- Familiarity with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, ECS)
- Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL database technologies (SQL Server, Postgres, MySQL, MongoDB, DynamoDB)
- Experience managing highly scalable near real-time data pipelines using Kinesis/Kafka, Data Lake/S3.
- Familiarity with OLAP / Big data technologies (Snowflake, PowerBI tools)
- Familiarity with Data governance, data lifecycle management and retention policies
- Exposure to Cloud technologies (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Experience with monitoring and alerting tools, and analyzing system metrics to determine root cause analysis