Sr. Data Engineer
Engineering | Remote, United States,Durham, NC, United States,Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
The Data Engineer within the BI and Analytics team will be a major contributor and architect of Avalara's cloud based centralized reporting platform. Hence strong experience in large scale reporting platforms, MPP cloud data technologies, advanced ETL/ELT and data streaming tools and deep understanding of long term benefits and pitfalls of various data structures (NOSQL vs SQL) is an absolute must.
A major responsibility for this role is to scale and support our customer facing reporting logic which includes providing end to end data delivery of custom and standard compliance tax logic to thousands of our customers via HTTPS and other secure protocols.
- Build a long term 'data analytics stack' for Avalara. Work with the product managers, DBA teams and broader engineering teams build scalable data orchestration, transformation and reporting streams that can capture and prepare billions of transactions per day for customer reporting.
- Build, implement and monitor a data quality framework with required ci/cd pipeline, code instrumentation and real time monitoring tools.
- Practice/Implement data security, encryption and masking policies across various data sets and data sources.
- Develop and manage end-to-end project plans and ensure on-time delivery.
- Communicate status and big picture to the project team and management.
- Work with business and engineering teams to identify scope, constraints, dependencies, and risks.
- Identify risks and opportunities across the business and drive solutions.
- 8+ years combined in data engineer, object oriented languages (python, C#, JAVA), DevOps, distributed cloud architecture, high availability production system deployment experience
- Advanced SQL with big data optimization skills is an absolute must.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Experience managing efforts in distributed systems and/or developing large scale web/ cloud SaaS applications
- Proven ability to combine business acumen, technical acumen and process expertise to define client (internal/external) engagement and program execution
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical stakeholders across multiple business units
- Excellent problem-solving skills
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world. Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents. Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com