Engineering | London, England, United Kingdom,Brighton, United KingdomApply Now!
Impendulo by Avalara is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to work on our core global Insurance Tax product – spanning across our core Managed Returns Service business as well as our market-leading API suite.
We are growing and evolving our product and looking for motivated people to join us on this journey.
A successful candidate will be a well-rounded software engineer with a proven track record of delivering software at scale in an agile environment, have the ability to work under pressure, thrive in a fast paced environment and truly embrace the challenge of taking Impendulo by Avalara to a place of complete automation.
- Support and develop software engineers by providing advice, coaching and mentoring
- Work smart and understand how your solutions impact the goals of the business
- Be introspective, always trying to improve yourself and the team around you
- Implement best practices for coding as well as development processes
- Participate in an agile team – including design, development, test automation, planning, backlog refinement and support
- Design and develop scalable software components
- Design and develop integrations with other systems at Avalara and with external partners
- Support our production platform, including troubleshooting & bug fixes
- Communicate potential risks, delays, concerns and status to stakeholders
- Design and develop the applications, tools, new features in a product
- Understand Product requirements or customer problems and provide technical solutions; come up with technical designs and implement new features
- Own features from inception stage through production deployment and operation
- Maintain overall product quality by fixing bugs and improving performance
- Perform code reviews and ensure coding standards and practices
- Engage in development activity throughout agile development iterations to ensure on time code delivery
- Participate in planning, estimation and provide inputs on required development tasks
- Be a key participant in creating a ‘Zero Defects’ development culture
- Be part of the continuous integration and production deployment process
- Working closely with the Product Managers to refine user stories
- Develop and keep up to date procedure manuals affected by the changes to software you make
- Be willing to learn the complexities and intricacies of global Insurance Tax
Qualifications and Experience:
- Strong experience of React or another JS library (incl. state management such as Redux)
- Previous experience working within an agile team is essential
- Outstanding problem solving and debugging skills
- Strong understanding of object-oriented design & development and common design patterns
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional demeanour, team player and a positive attitude
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities
- Demonstrated high standards of excellence
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work within a dispersed non co-located team
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Proven ability to make things happen and meet commitments
- Working knowledge of source control tools such as GitLab
- Working knowledge of JIRA
- Experience of AWS
- Experience of creating CI/CD pipelines
- Experience in designing and building scalable micro service architecture
We're building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make — every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, meal kit, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there's an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
The logic behind calculating taxes — the rules, rates, and boundaries — is a global, layered, three-dimensional mess of complexity, with compliance dictated by governments and applied by every business, every day.
Avalara works with businesses of all sizes, all over the world — from corner stores to gigantic global retailers — to calculate tax accurately and automatically, at speeds measured in milliseconds. That's a massive technical challenge, in terms of scale, reliability, and complexity, and we do it better than anyone.
That's why we're growing fast.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S., Canada, Brazil, Europe, UK and India
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, or any other factor protected by law.
Avalara is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants with a disability who require a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process can follow this process outlined when applying for a position: Please provide your name and contact information to our recruitment team at recruitmentEMEA@avalara.com