Director, Site Reliability Engineering (R1931)
Engineering | Remote, United States,Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
Avalara, Inc., (www.Avalara.com), is the leading provider of cloud-based software that delivers a broad array of compliance solutions related to sales tax and other transactional taxes.
What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out! We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism.
We are building cloud-based tax compliance solutions to handle every transaction in the world. Imagine every transaction you make - every tank of gas, cup of coffee, or pair of sneakers, every movie ticket, or streamed song, every sensor-to-sensor ping. Nearly every time you make a purchase, physical or digital, there is an accompanying unique and nuanced tax compliance calculation.
We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced Director, Site Reliability Engineering to join our team. Ideally, we would like this position to be based in our Seattle office, but for the right person, this can be 100% remote.
In support of the Avalara SaaS suite of services, the Director, Product Site Reliability Engineering is responsible for increasing the reliability, and efficiency of our production systems across the US, India, EMEA and Brazil. The role manages a team of 6-10 engineers directly and remotely with a primary mandate to influence and educate the total Avalara engineering team of 1000+ heads towards a DevOps culture of reliability best practices.
The team is also responsible for driving service uptime and quality in 24 x 7 environments and meeting client expectations of accessible data services. The team will enhance monitors, troubleshoot Windows and Linux applications, support AWS infrastructure, execute tools & automation, and impact the design of the future platform architecture. Additionally, they will be involved in developing support standards for all applications and adheres to those plans to provide the necessary level of production SLAs.
The Avalara product suite is a mix of Windows/SQL environments with a wide variety of additional open source applications present in a Linux environment. The role supports multiple projects and requires interactions and partnerships with teams and personnel from multiple business locations, skill sets, and backgrounds. As such, the position requires strong communication skills in addition to a solid foundation of technical skills, analytical abilities, and end-to-end troubleshooting techniques.
Essential Operational Engineering Skills:
- Recommend application changes to improve application performance
- Work with Development to transition applications from one platform to another when called for by the business
- Cloud Services experience with AWS or Azure
- Experienced in troubleshooting applications running on a Windows .NET stack using IIS and Linux based opensource stacks in an AWS environment. You must have strong experience in one and a willingness to learn the other.
- Provide technical escalation and share in the on-call rotation
- Work independently but also a very strong team player, as required for the project at hand
- Review existing processes and recommend changes or institute new processes as necessary, including the areas of monitoring, upgrades, and tuning, etc.
- Generate high-quality project documentation, such as architecture designs, implementation plans, design documents, test plans, etc.
- Participate in on-call 24/7 rotation.
- At least 7 years' experience in a SAAS operating environment.
- Deep expertise in the mentality, processes, and tools needed to deliver five nines SLAs.
- Communication and influence of indirect engineering teams through documentation, Brown Bags, training etc.
- CI/CD process
- Strong working knowledge of Windows or Linux and it's underlying components, system statistics, performance tuning, file systems, and io.
- Experience with either .NET or Linux in AWS.
- Past experience with scripting skills in Powershell, Python or Perl and a history of automating workloads
- Experience with production deployment, monitoring and operational support for enterprise-class applications
- Experience in performance diagnostics, capacity planning, performance architecture design, performance tuning, performance monitoring
- Experience working with load balanced high-traffic solutions/services.
- Experience in SQL and database services
- BS in Computer Science or STEM equivalent with 5-8 years of relevant work experience
- Good verbal and written communication skills
Technologies you are likely to be working with: AWS and AWS PaaS and SaaS technologies, GitLab, Atlassian suite, Powershell, Python, Terraform & HashiCorp suite, Jenkins, C#, SQL, Linux, Containerization technologies etc.
- Can do attitude no problem is too big or too small.
- A desire to delight customers.
- A systematic problem solver, with the ability to think outside the box.
- Good data analysis skills to pick up trends before they become major problems.
- Previous experience as an enterprise-class Site Reliability Engineer
- A strong mix of Software Engineer and Operation Support skills.
- Eager to learn new technologies and programming languages.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transactional taxes, including VAT, sales and use, excise, communications, and other tax types. We deliver comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. Each year, the company processes billions of tax transactions for customers and users, files hundreds of thousands of tax compliance documents and tax returns and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara’s headquarters are in Seattle, WA and it has offices across the U.S. and in Brighton and London, England; Brussels, Belgium; and Pune, India. More information at: www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.