Senior Accountant, Acquisition and Integration Accounting
Finance | Seattle, WA, United StatesApply Now!
The Acquisition and Integration team at Avalara is seeking a Senior Accountant. This position is a newly created role at Avalara and will be supporting our acquisition strategy and execution. This individual will be responsible for supporting accounting-related pre- and post-close activities of mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and will be responsible for representing accounting throughout the M&A process, working with cross-department business leaders and functional accounting teams to ensure a seamless accounting and integration efforts associated with identified acquisitions and investments.
- Using your financial expertise, you will participate in the M&A process from diligence through integration.
- You will be required to identify financial risks and valuation implications during the financial due diligence process.
- Subsequently, you will participate in the integration of newly acquired businesses into our accounting & treasury processes including legal entity set up, establishing a monthly close cadence for acquired entities, journalizing full consolidation of acquired entity results, establishment of purchase accounting entries that occur from purchase price allocation and policy alignment, and ongoing efforts to integration accounting systems and processes.
- Provide strategic and best practice insights to sponsoring business teams to help them navigate the M&A lifecycle, including accounting for routine and complex accounting and finance issues associated with M&A and investment transactions.
- Define, track and communicate appropriate performance metrics to project teams and stakeholders and manage competing M&A activities.
- Prepare appropriate documentation to close out projects and facilitate effective transition of accounting into the finance and accounting organization, including compliance considerations associated with Sarbanes-Oxley.
- Lead & support continuous improvement initiatives for Avalara.
- Build relationships across multiple teams within Avalara to foster a collaborative and productive working relationship.
Qualification and Skills
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum 5 – 7 years of intermediate accounting experience or more including experience with a global public company.
- Exposure to technical and operational accounting in the areas of asset acquisitions, business combinations, other investments, consolidation matters, multi-currency, and intercompany transactions with foreign entities.
- Public accounting experience is preferred.
- Experience with NetSuite (preferred) or other large ERP systems such as Oracle or SAP.
- Strong Excel skills (pivots, functions) as well as the ability to work with large amounts of data.
- Strong cross-functional leadership skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Effective and collaborative communication and writing skills, with the ability to customize approach for a variety of audiences.
- Bias for action in times of ambiguity.
- Affinity for tools and processes to also support the deployment of our ERP system and other finance and reporting tools.
- Your view of the big picture helps you to develop and execute a legal entity merger concept and perform related legal entity valuations.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong sense of ownership and responsibility.High integrity and ethical standards.
- Commitment to continued improvement as demonstrated by streamlining processes.
- Highly motivated and dedicated to contributing to the growth and success of the company.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.