French VAT rates and returns updates
- 14 January 2015 | Richard Asquith
France has issued a number of decrees modifying the French VAT regime. The changes, effective on 1 January 2015, include:
French VAT rates
- The VAT rate on construction services provided in designated areas of deprivation has been reduced to 5.5%
- Imports of works of art or antiques will now be subject to 5.5% instead of 10%.
- Tickets for sporting events have been reclassified from nil VAT to 5.5%
French VAT returns
- Withdrawal of the requirement to submit two duplicate annual returns for the simplified VAT regime
- VAT remittances for the simplified VAT regime have been changed to twice annually
VP Global Indirect Tax
VP Global Indirect Tax Richard Asquith
Richard Asquith is VP Global Indirect Tax at Avalara, helping businesses understand their compliance obligations as they grow globally. He is part of the European leadership team which this year won International Tax Review's Tax Technology Firm of the Year. Richard qualified as an accountant with KPMG in the UK, and went on to work in Hungary, Russia and France with EY.