Kazakhstan VAT e-services
Kazakhstan has implemented VAT on electronic services provided to consumers by non-resident providers commencing 1 January 2021.
Scope of e-services
The State Revenue Committee of Kazakhstan defines the income from the following services as liable to VAT:
- Online advertising
- Marketplace listing services for goods or electronic services
- Advertising services
- Search engine facilities
- Storage and processing internet information
- Offering domain name rights and hosting
- Sale of computer programs (e.g. SaaS)
- Internet data and statistics provision
- Music, images and e-books provided over the internet
- Services related to IT or internet sites delivered via the internet
- Saas software and databases
- E-books and similar digital versions of publications
- Computer processing, including maintaining statistics
Determining residence of customer
Foreign providers will be required to track and determine if a customer is a Kazakh resident. They may use the following criteria to determine this and the place of supply:
- Address of the consumer
- Bank account location
- IP address of the consumer
- Telephone country code if purchase via phone
Non-resident entities are expected to register for VAT from 2021. This will include submitting quarterly VAT returns to declare VAT charged. There is no facility to recover Kazakh input VAT suffered.
Latest Kazakhstani news
December 8, 2016
Kazakhstan has withdrawn plans to scrap its VAT regime in favour of a simplified Sales Tax system. VAT in Kazakhstan is currently 12%, and is...
October 6, 2016
Kazakhstan is seeking to compel more high-risk traders to adopt electronic invoices. The proposal is to include commodity traders from the start of 2017. Many...
September 25, 2015
Kazakhstan has approved plans to withdraw its Value Added Tax regime next year. It will be replaced with a simple Sales Tax. This will be...
- South Korea