Spanish VAT rates and VAT compliance
Spanish VAT rates
Spain sets the level of its VAT rates. It does follow some broad rules in this area set by the EU (e.g. the standard VAT rate must be above 15%). These VAT rates should be used by providers of taxable services when selling their goods.
The current rates are:
Spanish VAT rates
|Rate||Type||Which goods or services|
|21%||Standard||All other taxable goods and services.|
|10%||Reduced||Some foodstuffs; water supplies; certain pharmaceutical products; some medical equipment for disabled persons; domestic passenger transport; intra-community and international transport by road, rail and inland waterways; some social housing; some renovation and repair of private dwellings; agricultural supplies; hotel accommodation; restaurants and catering services; some social services; domestic waste collection; some soft drinks; bars, cafes, night clubs and alcoholic beverages sold therein; take away food; cut flowers and plants for food production; some supplies of new buildings; some construction work on new buildings; cinema tickets; admission to sporting events (amateur sporting events only); treatment of waste and waste water.|
|4%||Reduced||Some foodstuffs; some pharmaceutical products; some medical equipment for the disabled; some books (excluding e-books); certain newspapers and periodicals; some social housing; some social services; some construction work on new buildings.|
|0%||Zero||Taxation of some gold coins, ingots and bars; intra-community and international transport by air and sea.|
Spanish VAT Compliance
Once registered for Spanish VAT, you will have to start following the local rules in a number of aspects. This includes:
- Issuing invoices with the disclosure details outlined in the Spanish VAT Law.
- Electronic invoices with proper signature, authenticity and agreement by the recipient.
- Maintenance of accounts and records, which must be held for at least 10 years.
- Correct invoicing of customers for goods or services in accordance with the Spanish time of supply VAT rules.
- Processing of credit notes and other corrections.
- Use of approved foreign currency rates.
What is the tax point for Spanish VAT?
The tax point (time of supply) rules in Spain determine when the VAT is due. For imports, it is the time of importation. For goods, it is considered as the point of transfer of title. Any VAT due should then be declared in the subsequent VAT return. The tax point for Spanish services is when performed, or on an accruals basis as ‘enjoyed’.
Latest Spanish news
November 24, 2018
Spain is to extend its live Immediate Information Supply (SII) regime to the Canary Islands from 1 January 2019...
July 27, 2018
Overview This release is a maintenance release of the VAT Reporting application for the month of July. It includes changes in reporting documents, SII...
June 29, 2018
Overview This release is a maintenance release of the VAT Reporting application for the month of June. It includes changes in reporting documents, SII...
- Spanish VAT reverse charge
- Spanish VAT registration
- Spanish VAT returns
- Spanish VAT rates and VAT compliance
- Spanish VAT invoice requirements
- Spain consignment call-off stock VAT
- Spanish VAT recovery
- Spanish intrastat
- Spanish EC Sales Lists (ESL)
- Suministro Inmediato de Información (SII)
- EU VAT on digital services
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom