Frequently Asked Sales Tax Questions
Taxrates.com is powered by Avalara, the leader in sales tax automation. We offer these rates for free as an entry-level product for companies just getting started with sales tax compliance.
- 1. Go to www.taxrates.com/state-rates.
- 2. a) If you need a single state’s rate file, click on the map to select your state (proceed to Step 4).
- b) If you need to download rates for multiple states scroll to the bottom of the page and select all states you need rates for. (proceed to Step 5).
- 3. On the “State Rate” page you have selected, click “Download…” button to begin downloading the state sales tax rate table (proceed to Step 6).
- 4. Upon selection, the state will be in a highlighted state, indicating that the state rate file is ready for download. To deselect a state, simply click again and the state will be deselected. To begin your download, click “Continue”.
- 5. Fill out the form to verify your download request and click “Download Now”.
- 6. You will be provided individual links to each of the states you have selected for download. Simply click the link and your download will begin.
Here is a sample screenshot of the download, opened in Excel
The rate file is provided in a coma-separated CSV file format. This can be opened in a spreadsheet application like Excel, or manipulated to a compatible format to upload into accounting, ERP or e-commerce software.
The following fields are included in each rate file:
- TaxRegionCode (Unique Identifier)
- CombinedRate (Total Sales Tax Rate)
Yes, each additional taxing level beyond the City, State and County is included in the SpecialRate field. It is a combined value. For additional taxing level information, please contact us.
The rates are updated monthly at the end of a calendar month for the upcoming month. To receive updates, you should simply return to place an order and receive links to download the updated files via email.